Available from Denman Studios
Available from These Fine Galleries
Available at Special Events
Limited Edition Reproductions
Archive of Previous Work
Solo Touring Show: The Modern Wild
About the Artist
News & Events
Teaching & Workshops
Newsletter & Mailing List
About the Artist:
“In the increasingly crowded field of wildlife artists, Andrew Denman stands out for his distinctive look in addition to his masterful painting skill” writes veteran art writer and magazine editor Jennifer King in a 2008 editorial for Create Better Paintings.com. Denman primarily paints wildlife and animal subjects in a unique, hallmark style combining realism, stylization, and abstraction. His dynamic and original acrylic paintings can be found in museum collections on two continents and in numerous private collections in the USA and abroad. His clear voice, unique vision, and commitment to constant artistic experimentation have positioned him on the forefront of an artistic vanguard of the best contemporary wildlife and animal painters working today.
Denman holds a BA in Fine Arts from Saint Mary’s College in Moraga, CA. He is well known in the San Francisco Bay Area as both an artist and teacher, and he has gained international attention through major gallery showings, numerous museum exhibitions in the US and overseas, artist workshops and speaking engagements, and feature coverage in such publications as Southwest Art, Western Art Collector, Western Art & Architecture, International Artist, The Artist’s Magazine, American Artist, and Wildlife Art, among others.
Born in 1978, the Bay Area native showed a great degree of interest in art from an early age. Denman organized his first one man show in high school at a local library, and soon after began participating in exhibitions with Pacific Wildlife Galleries in Lafayette, CA, alongside leading figures Robert Bateman, Carl Brenders, and John Seerey-Lester. Andrew went on to hold four successful solo exhibitions at Pacific Wildlife before moving to Trailside Galleries in 2008. Denman is currently represented by Astoria Fine Art in Jackson, WY, Huey's Fine Art in Santa Fe, NM, Bils & Rye in North Yorkshire, England, The Gallery at Sculpture by the Lakes in Dorset, England, Picture This in Alberta, Canada, and The Greenwich Workshop in Seymour, CT, which has produced limited edition giclée canvases of the artist’s work since 2011. The artist maintains Denman Studios at his Antioch, CA, home, which he shares with partner and fellow wildlife artist Guy Combes.
Denman’s work has toured nationally in his solo exhibition, The Modern Wild, with the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum's Birds in Art show, and with the Society of Animal Artists, which has thrice honored Andrew’s work with Awards of Excellence. The artist is a regular participant in the highly competitive Western Visions Exhibition at the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson, Wyoming, an institution that named him the Lanford Monroe Memorial Artist in Residence for Winter of 2009. Denman’s work can be found in the National Museum of Wildlife Art, The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wausau, Wisconsin, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, AZ, the Nature in Art Museum, Gloucester, England, and numerous private collections around the world. The artist is a member of the Society of Animal Artists, NY, and The International Guild of Realism, AZ.
Whether painting an animal in its natural habitat or juxtaposing it against an abstract background, Denman goes to great lengths to faithfully portray his subjects, taking frequent field trips to nature areas, parks, and zoos to observe his subjects and acquire reference material. Yet while accuracy is always of great importance, Denman is an artist before he is a naturalist. The sense of fearless experimentation and originality he brings to his paintings testifies to the artist’s true focus. As Mary Nelson writes in the Nov/Dec 2004 issue of Wildlife Art magazine, “In the end, it’s not the mood, the meaning, or the method that Denman craves. It is the medium-art.”
- Sculpture by the Lakes. Pattern & Poise, two-person show with sculptor Simon Gudgeon, 2018.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Musuem. Puma Past & Present, ensemble show, 2017. Colors of Cabo Pulmo, featured artist, 2018.
- Astoria Fine Art. A Different Animal, Solo Exhibition, 2017. Contemporary Wildlife, Modern Masters, Four-Person Show, 2015.
Solo Exhibition 2013, numerous ensemble shows 2011-present.
- "The Modern Wild" Solo Touring Museum Exhibition. Curated & Directed by David J. Wagner, Ph.D. Lindsay Wildlife Museum, Walnut Creek, CA.
Arizona-Sonora Desert Musuem, Tucson, AZ. Hiram Blauvelt Art Museum, Oradell, New Jersey. 2015-2016.
- The Gallery at Sculpture by the Lakes, Dorset, England, "Drawn" and other ensemble exhibitions, 2014- present.
- "Andrew Denman: New Works" Scott McCue Gallery 83, Orinda, CA. Solo Exhibit, 2014.
- "Art for the Animals" J. Willott Gallery, Palm Desert, CA. Featured Artist, 2013.
- "Old World-New World; The Wildlife Art of Andrew Denman & Guy Combes." Joint Exhibition. Gloucestershire, England, 2012.
- Denman Studios, Orinda, CA. Solo Exhibit 2010.
- Pacific Wildlife Galleries, Lafayette, CA. Solo Exhibits in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008. Featured artist “Bay Area
Wildlife” 2006, numerous ensemble shows-2009.
- Trailside Galleries, Jackson, WY. Artist Showcase, 2008, 2011, numerous ensemble shows-2011.
- “A Natural Inclination: the Art of Andrew Denman.” Solo Exhibition. Lindsay Wildlife Museum, Walnut Creek, CA, 2007.
- Society of Animal Artists. “Art & the Animal”: 2003, 2006, 2008-2012, 2014, 2018.
- Artists for Conservation. “The Art of Conservation”: 2009-2012.
- “Birds in Art,” Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wausau, WI, 2004-2006.
- “Western Visions,” National Museum of Wildlife Art, Jackson, WY 2006-2018.
- “American Wildlife Art,” Allentown Art Museum, Allentown, PA, 2013.
- “Art of the Animal Kingdom XIV” Bennignton Center for the Arts, Bennignton, VT, 2009.
- “The Art of Seeing” Oakland Museum of Natural History, Oakland CA, 2003, 3006.
- “American Birds, a Flight through Time” The Wildlife Experience, Parker, CO, 2005.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. Tucson, AZ. 2013, 2015, & 2017 Aquisitions. 2016 Gift of the Artist.
- Nature in Art Museum. Gloucestershire, England. 2012 Gift of the Artist.
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum. Wausau, WI. 2006 Acquisition.
- National Museum of Wildlife Art. Jackson, WY. 2005 & 2008 Acquisitions, 2014 Bequest of Anonymous Trustee.
Selected Awards and Honors:
- President's Award, Society of Animal Artists 58th Annual Art & the Animal Exhibition for "Totem #5: Stacked Coyotes & Ravens," 2018
- 1st Place for Richeson 75 International Animals, Birds, & Wildlife Art Competition, 2014 & 2015.
- Staff Award, 2013/2014 Art Renewal Center International Salon Competition, 2014.
- Awards Juror for Richeson 75 International Animals, Birds, & Wildlife Art Competition, 2013.
- Bob Kuhn Award, National Museum of Wildlife Art, 2012.
- Lanford Monroe Memorial Artist in Residence, National Museum of Wildlife Art, 2009.
- Don Eckelberry Memorial Scholarship. Society of Animal Artists, 2006.
- Award of Excellence, Society of Animal Artists, 2003, 2004, 2009.
- Southwest Art: The Drive to Succeed, Feature Article, December 2016
- International Artist: Feature Article, October/November 2016
- Western Art Collector: Taking Flight (Bird Art Feature), September 2016
- Western Art & Architecture: Artist Showcase, October/November 2015
- Fine Art Connoisseur: Preview of The Modern Wild, October 2015
- Big Sky Magazine: Feature Article, Summer 2015
- American Art Collector: Feature Article, July 2013
- International Artist: Feature Article, June/July 2012
- Western Art Collector: Feature Article, April 2010
- The Artist’s Magazine: Feature Articles, August 2005, October 2009
- Southwest Art: Feature Article, April 2006. 21 Under 31, September 2005
- American Artist: Feature Article, October 2004
- Wildlife Art: Cover Feature, November/December 2004
Workshops, Lectures, and Speaking Engagements:
- "Creative Conservation" Lecture. Beckman Conservation Research Center, San Diego Wild Animal Park. June, 2018.
- "The Importance of Field Work" Member's Meeting Lecture. Arizona-Sonora Desert Musuem, October 2017.
- "The Impasto Approach" Artist Workshop. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, October 2017.
- "Your Modern Wild" Artist Workshop. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, October 2015-16.
- "The Modern Wild" Lecture. Lindsay Wildlife Musuem and Arizona-Sonora Desert Musuem, September & October 2015.
- "A Conversation with Andrew Denman & Guy Combes" Public Interview with Kathleen Lawrence-Davis. Diablo Fine Art Gallery. August 2015
- Returning Guest Instructor.Susan K. Black Foundation Workshop Dubois, WY. 2007-2014, 2016.
- “Tortoise Beats Hare; Strategic Marketing in a Down Economy,” Marketing Seminar. Susan K. Black Workshop. September 2012.
- “The Art of Andrew Denman” Lecture. Nature in Art Museum. Gloucestershire, England. August 2012.
- “The Art of Andrew Denman” Lecture. University of California Santa Cruz. 2007.
- “A Natural Inclination” Lecture. Lindsay Wildlife Museum. 2007.
- “Birds of A Feather” Guided tour of Birds in Art. Lindsay Wildlife Museum. 2007.
- Featured Instructor for Acrylic Painting. Susan K. Black Foundation Workshop. 2006.
- “Selling Yourself Without Selling Out,” Marketing Seminar. Susan K. Black Workshop. June 2005.
Memberships and Associations
- Society of Animal Artists. New York, NY. Signature Member. 2002 to Present.
- International Guild of Realism. Scottsdale, AZ. Associate Member. 2005 to Present.
- Artists for Conservation. Vancouver, Canada. Signature Member. 2003 to 2014.